About Me

Putrajaya, Malaysia
8th Ed. Warhammer Fantasy Battle is damn fun. Try it!!

Friday, June 24, 2016

I'm Back!! And It's Time For a Tourney Report!

A few more days and it would be two years since my last post. So many things happened uncharted in the past two years. I had the fun of my life during End Times until they decided to kill WFB entirely. 8th Ed is the best game system for fantasy battles and we still play it to this day.

The coming of Age of Sigmar was pretty much confusing for us all. The absence of points is the biggest let down. Fail GW.. a huge fail. Still we pushed for it, tried all kinds of format before finally settled down with the South Coast Grand Tournament (SCGT). All the while keeping our hope high for GW to mend their mistakes. Alas, our prayers were answered, and here we are waiting anxiously for the new way to play AoS. Please god let it be good.

Been doing WFB and AoS on most hobby nights, my 40k armies were mostly left to dust and my skills went a bit dull. Still, my World Eaters managed to get 3rd place in the Wira Cup 2015. My one lost in the tournament was in the first game (out of four) because I forgotten how the Relic Mission worked :lol: I did won Best Painted though and it was what I actually aimed for in that tourney. Mission accomplished. 

Last Sunday was Wira Cup 2016 and this time I brought my Raven Guard. My aim was again, the Best Painted. I didn't expect to place high in the ranking because (thanks to the Renegade box) there was so many Imperial Knights this time around. Been doing so minimal 40k, I'm sure lacking the experience to go against GMC or SHV. I didn't took much pictures, but got one of each rounds, enough for a simple report. 

WIRA CUP 2016

My Army..
RG Gladius Strike Force with Company Support
2x Battle Demi Co.
Captain - Armour of Shadows, TH&SS, Jumpack
Chaplain - Raven's Fury
Dreadnought - Multimelta, HeavyFlamer in Drop Pod (Deathwind)
2x 5 Tacticals - Meltagun, CombiMelta in Drop Pods (Deathwind)
4x 5 Tacticals - Plasmagun, CombiPlasma in Razorbacks (2 LasPlas, 2 TwinLas)
2x 1 Typhoon Speeder
3 Centurions - Gravcannons, Hurricane Bolters
5 Devastators - 4 Lascannons in Razorback (LasPlas)

10th Co. Task Force
2x 5 Snipers - Camo, HBolter
5 Scouts - Shotguns

*******************

1st Game : Modified Crusade (5 Objectives)
Opponent : Dark Eldar Venom Spam

It was a bad match up for my opponent. He went first, but there's nothing much he can do against my marines. Splinter weapons couldn't harm my vehicles while Shrouding denied him easy kill. Came my turn I crippled almost his entire army and that sealed everything for him.
Scene from RG first turn 
His formation of 4 Razorwing Jetfighters came in on turn 3, but it was too late. There's nothing they could do to change the situation. Raven Guard won.

*******************

2nd Game : Modified Big Guns Never Tire (3 Objectives)
Opponent : Chaos Space Marines - Triple Chaos Knights and Invisible Bikers

Top Scorer in the first round, I was matched against another top scorer. There was two (2) Secondary Objectives in each round, and the two in this round greatly favored my opponent. For each Troop and Heavy Support he destroyed, my opponent will get 2 VPs. There's just so many easy VPs in my list. How I wished I met the dark Eldar player in this round instead of the first :lol:
Just before the first blow
I made huge mistakes here - forgot to deploy the Centurions and the Devastators. Not that it would change the result because of the VP conditions, but at least I could've taken out a Knight or two. My opponent Seized The Initiative and start collecting points by destroying my troops. Damn I hate Knights. No need for tactics, just move forward, shoot and boom.

To prevent greater loss, i sent my drop troops behind the line to kill his Cultists, gain points myself and captured the enemy objective.  That forced him to pull back his Knights and bikers to guard his own objective. But still huge loss to Raven Guard in VPs.

*******************

3rd Game : Relic
Opponent : Dark Angels - Double Demi with Darkshroud

This is one opponent I looked forward to. I simply love battles between infantries where tactical maneuvers matters. Going first, I sent some units to the centre for the Relic early on. My attack came from the front and both flanks, pinning the Angels in place with the help of those two long walls.
Traffic jam in the 41st millenium
But it was no way an easy fight. Each time I got hold of the Relic, my opponent successfully destroyed that unit. We both lost our leaders and failed to capture the Relic. However the Raven Guard controlled the game and achieved more Secondary Objectives. Raven Guard won.

*******************

4th Game : Emperor's Will
Opponent : Space Wolves - TWC and Rune Council

The last battle was against my good friend the mighty wolflord. His army was a scary one. 2 TWC unit with Veil of Time and the uber Tempest psychic power.

Raven Guard's initial attack was a success, destroyed 2 Rhinos and a Predator. Deathwind missiles rained down on the passengers killing half of a Grey Hunters pack.

The wolves replied with Mighty Tempest spell causing 6D6 S7 shots which took out the Centurions and Chaplain in a single round of shooting. The TWC moved forward, going after my home objective. But heavy casualties on their base forced them to pull back to support their rear and reclaimed the home objective.
Of Wolves And Ravens
Alone, my Captain made a brave attempt towards the enemy. He killed the last 4 remaining Grey Hunters and captured the enemy objective. The game ended halfway in Game Turn 3. I was lucky to get his objective just before the final whistle blew. Raven Guard won.

*******************
Final Result : 
Champion was 3 Imperial Knight (3+ invulnerable) formation with Eldar Wraithknight.
2nd place was my second opponent with his 3 Knights.
3rd placing was a SM Armoured Might Detachment with Imperial Knight.
4th place was my Raven Guard Gladius Strike Force. Not bad lah :)

Sadly, I didn't get what I came here for. The Best Painted army went to this superb looking Tau army (and damn scary too hahaha). No regret, got to try harder next time.
Best Painted army
That's all folks. Two years is a long time. So many things to say but I guess that better be the next time.

Thanks for reading. Cheers

-AK-


4 comments:

spunkybass said...

Welcome back! So good to see your troops and reports again. I think you did well considering yours is actually a "proper" army :P

I especially like the pic with snipers and devastators in the tall ruins dominating the battlefield. Classic!

That Tau army is sweet indeed.

Looking forward to bring my Eldar against you guys. And don't worry, I don't like mecha. You won't see any Wraithknights or any other Knight or Surges in my list. The only mecha i'd consider are the real sleek Eldar-lookng ones like Revanant and Phantom Titan. But that's not going to happen anytime soon

Lord AK said...

Thanks bro Spunkybass. I actually made this comeback because of you hahaha..

Too bad we couldn't have our game last Saturday. Was looking forward to it since our last game was almost one and a half year back (November 2014 i think).

Will be taking a lot more pictures next time for a proper batrep. Thanks again bro.

Information said...

Nice post thanks for sharing.
M3M Golf Estate | Garmin Express | Aol Games

Ajay Kumar said...

Paintings play a key role in the interiors of the home. We at Vibecrafts understand this and offer a massive variety of small and big Wall Paintings
.