About Me

Putrajaya, Malaysia
8th Ed. Warhammer Fantasy Battle is damn fun. Try it!!

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Dropzone Commander : Unboxing The 2 Player Starter Set

Greetings all,
 
Today I'm gonna share with you what's inside the Dropzone Commander Starter Set that I won in the lucky draw that day (Sunday, Nov 24th). Now let us find out if it is worth the RM350 price tag.
 
GAMING KIT
Complete gaming kit
The box comes with a complete gaming kit for anyone, even those new to table top gaming to start playing this game in such a short time. As you can see, it has a rulebook, model kit for 2 armies, dices, templates, objective markers, a measuring tape (small, metal cased) and dices. Everything is nicely wrapped in plastics and bubble wrapped to ensure safety of all the stuffs inside.
 
The plastic model kits provided is enough to make two armies. One of the United Colonies of Mankind (UCM) and the evil Scourge. By the time I wrote this, I've already assembled all the UCM (see picture below) and about 80% of the Scourge.
 

United Colonies of Mankind (UCM)

Each army consist of 30 infantries, 3 armoured personnel carriers, 3 battle tanks, 3 anti-air tanks and 3 drop ships. In game, they will form 3 Battlegroups as can be seen from the leaflet in picture above.
 
BATTLEGROUND
 
Tabletop wargaming isn't fun without proper battlefield, terrain and sceneries. So it is good that the box also included 2 city mat (1x2 feet each to make a 2x2 feet battlefield) and several foldable paper buildings of different sizes and heights. Which means that once I've assembles all the models, I can straightaway play the game as how it should be, right in the middle of a city. Very nice indeed!
Battleground - city mat and foldable paper buildings
THE RULEBOOK

Reading the fluff gave me the impression of War of The Worlds kind of invasion -- doom, death, and despair to the mankind, though the Scourge has the look of that alien army from the movie Avengers (Skitarii?). By the 26th century, the Earth and other human worlds will be attacked by the Scourge. Humans were forced to flee the Earth or suffer much worst fate in the hands of the invaders. After 150+ years, they come back to reclaim the lost worlds.

Besides the UCM and Scourge, there's 2 other forces player can choose from. An alien race and post-human. But I won't touch on them yet. The rulebook has complete set of rules for all units from the 4 factions. From here, all that players need to do to expand their armies is buy new models.

What disappoints me the most about the rulebook is the fact that there is zero (0) artwork in the rulebook. The only artwork is the front cover. I really would love to see how the other races looks like, their cities and all. Too bad.

CONCLUSION

I really like this Starter Set. It is a complete kit for beginners like me. It gives enough necessary things that I need to get in the game real quick. I think it is worth the RM350 one has to pay for it. For comparison, it would take much more cash for beginners to play 40k or WFB.

I haven't played the game so I can't comment much on the rules. But I'm liking what I read so far. After a game or two, I might be able to share with you all how I feel about the gameplay.
 

Okay.. I guess that's all I can say about it.

Thanks and have a nice day!

1 comment:

FourEyedMonster said...

I think Goh has this set as well. Not to sure about it but I think it is Dropzone Commander.